Author Site Reviewresults

Frequently Asked Questions

Currently the Manitoulin-Sudbury DSB does not have a wait list for subsidy. Families should apply for subsidy once they have secured a space at a licensed child care centre. For a complete list of licensed child care centres in our area. click here.

Parents and caregivers who have referrals to use licensed child care may qualify for subsidy. For example, if your child has been identified as needing more time in social situations with other children, you may qualify for subsidy to socialize your child in a licensed child care setting.

If you live outside of the catchment area, arrangements to access a subsidized space should be made with the Child Care Service Office in your area.

Eligibility is determined at your Intake Interview using a provincially mandated income test. Eligibility for child care fee assistance is based on income only. Assets, living expenses and debts are no longer considered.

At your interview we can tell you how much the Manitoulin-Sudbury DSB will pay directly to the Child Care Provider of your choice, and how much you are required to pay.

The amount that you pay for child care will be calculated using the information on Line 236 on your most recent Notice of Assessment/Reassessment and the amount of any Universal Child Care Benefit (if applicable).

Try the "Quick Income Test" calculator to determine how much you will pay for child care.

All families interested in applying for child care fee assistance must file an Income Tax return annually. You must provide your Income Tax Notice of Assessment or most recent Canada Child Tax Benefit Notice.

A family is financially ineligible when their available income is more than the cost of child care.

In Ontario, the Ministry of Children and Youth Services (MCYS) license Child Care centres. The standards under the Day Nurseries Act address such things as health, safety and developmental needs, staff/child ratios, physical environment such as outdoor and indoor space, bathrooms, etc. It also specifies staff qualifications and supervision, however the standards are minimum and do not address all aspects of a quality program. It is important for parents to take time to visit and review the setting in which they place their child to be sure it meets their needs and specific concerns. For more information visit:

Financial eligibility for child care subsidy is based on income only. Assets, debt and living expenses are not considered under the Income Test.

All licensed child care programs provide receipts for Income Tax purposes.

You will receive a receipt for the annual parental contribution you paid to your Child Care Provider. You will not receive a receipt for the amount of subsidy that was paid by the Manitoulin-Sudbury DSB, to the Child Care Provider on your behalf.

For example, if the child care cost is $25 per day and based on your income test, the Manitoulin-Sudbury DSB has determined you have the ability to pay $10 per day as your parental contribution, you will receive a receipt for that amount only.

If you require additional child care hours/days for a child that is currently attending a child care program, you need to call your case manager for approval.

Please ensure that you check with your Child Care Provider to ensure they have space for your child to attend the requested additional hours/days of care.

Report changes in your situation: You must contact your case manager when there are changes in your marital status, address, family size, employment, and schooling or Ontario Works activities. In some cases you will need an in-person eligibility review to determine ongoing eligibility for subsidized child care or if there will be a change in your assessed child care fee.

If you no longer require child care or you leave the child care centre for another centre, you must notify the Manitoulin-Sudbury DSB 2 weeks in advance. It is important to let the child care centre know 2 weeks' in advance as well. If the 2 weeks notice is not given you will be responsible for the full cost of the child care fees.

There may also be times when we need additional information from you to confirm your ongoing eligibility. Make sure you respond to all letters and submit the required information by the deadline so that you do not lose your subsidy. If you have any questions about any correspondence that you receive, contact your Child Care case manager immediately.

Both centre-based and home-based Child Care Services are licensed under the Day Nurseries Act. When parents choose a quality licensed Child Care Provider they can expect:

Staff is always present to help children develop and learn.
Children are treated in a positive manner that enhances self-esteem and self-confidence.
Through the licensing process, the centres/homes are required to meet certain standards; some of which include the layout of physical space and setting, emergency and fire procedures, and approved food preparation standards.

Centre-Based Care offers:

A separate facility, usually located in a school, community centre or other building.
Professional staff with training in early childhood education.
Activities that are created for children at different stages of development.
An environment which is free from dangerous objects and materials.
A setting which is designed for children.
Nutritious meal planning and routines.
Toys and playground equipment which are age-appropriate and chosen with the safety and enjoyment of children in mind.

Home-Based Child Care offers:

A family-like setting in the caregiver's home for up to five children from infant to school-age.
Children from the same family can be cared for together, often in their own neighbourhood, close to school and friends.
Hours of care can be flexible and may be adapted to suit the needs of individual families (e.g. parents working shift work).
Planned activities for children at different stages of development.
An environment which is free from dangerous objects and materials.
Nutritious meal planning and routines.

Currently, the Manitoulin-Sudbury District Services Board purchases special resource services from the Child & Family Centre (CFC).
Special needs resources provide staff, equipment, supplies and/or services to support children with special needs in integrated child care settings.

Services for children with special needs are offered in all licensed child care programs within the Manitoulin-Sudbury DSB catchment area. This supports the integration of children with special needs into community licensed child care services. These services are available at no additional cost to the parents.

Resource teachers assist child care agencies in the assessment of children with special needs, prepare individual program plans for each child and provide support to regular caregivers in developing and caring out daily activities for each special needs child.

Resource teachers also work with parents and program staff to ensure there is a consistent expectation and approach for the children.

For access to the Child & Family Centres website:

The Ontario Child Care Supplement (OCCS) for Working Families is a tax-free monthly payment to help with the costs of raising children under the age of seven. The program benefits low-to-middle income single or two-parent families, families with one stay-at-home parent, or families with one or both parents studying or in training.

A family does not have to have a child in daycare to apply for the supplement.

For more information and how to apply visit:

A Best Start Hub is a one-stop centre for families, often in a school setting, bringing together:

Kindergarten children
early learning and child care
parent-child programs
parenting supports
access to a wide range of specialized services

In the Manitoulin-Sudbury DSB catchment area, Hubs will be either in schools or in central locations and closely linked to schools.

Best Start Hubs will:

support a rich early learning environment and family-centred services
provide parenting and school-readiness programs.
serve culturally diverse families and families with children with special needs.
have linkages to schools and other local services such as Preschool Speech and Language and Development Screening Clinics.
provide community resources and information.

The Manitoulin-Sudbury DSB catchment area presently has 4 hubs that are up and running. They are located in:

Sudbury East at Ecole St-Antoine 28 rue St.Antoine, Noelville ON
Manitoulin Island at the Little Current Public School 18 Draper Street, Little Current ON 1-705-368-3400 ext. 1
Sudbury North at Chapleau Child Care Centre 28 Golf Road, Chapleau ON
LaCloche at Sacred Heart School 273 Mead Blvd., Espanola ON

A Family Resource Centre is a service which provides:

Drop-in services
Information and referral services
Nursery School Program
Mom's and Dad's support groups
Toy Library

There are 2 FRC's within the Manitoulin-Sudbury DSB catchment area.

The Manitoulin Family Resources(MFR)

Located in Mindemoya the MFR is active in a number of community networks and initiatives related to:

Preventing violence against women and children
Promoting social and economic equality
Supporting children and families in good health, early learning and play

MFR reaches out to the entire family and welcomes all questions.

Service Area Includes:

Manitoulin Island
North Shore Area

For more information please send an e-mail

Chapleau Family Resource Centre

Located in the Chapleau Child Care Centre de Garde d'Enfants at 28 Golf Course Road, Chapleau ON (705) 864-1886. They offer:

Programming for children
Outreach early years activities in Foleyet and Gogama
Provide an environment for parents, caregivers and children to interact together
Operates on a drop-in basis with both structured and unstructured activities for visiting families
Services are offered in both French and English by bilingual staff

Ontario Child Care Supplement for Working Families

Ministry of Finance's Information Centre toll-free number English service: 1-800-263-7965 or French service: 1-800-668-5821

Ontario Government Website or call toll-free 1-800-959-8281

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency or call 1-800-387-1193 or bilingual services 1-800-387-1194