Author Site Reviewresults

5.4. Lost or Stolen Cash


Ontario Works Effective Date: July 1, 2009
Topic: Income and Exemptions Replaces: November 1, 2004
Subject: Lost or Stolen Cash Policy No. H.5.4.



For Ontario Works families with children or persons pending ODSP, we will, by exception only on a one time basis, issue rent money, in accordance with the Ontario Works budget for which they qualify and enter same as an overpayment of the file to be recovered.


  • all cases must be approved by the Supervisor;  
  • must be assessed on a case by case basis; 
  • must have explored other avenues available to them, i.e. arrange with landlord to pay on a monthly basis, attempts to borrow money, Healthy Communities Fund etc. 
  • if stolen, must provide name of police officer that incident was reported to and the number of the incident report; 
  • if missing cash is for food, give a list of food banks in the area; 
  • do not replace cash for ODSP recipients; however they can be referred to the food banks. 
  • consider funds from the Healthy Communities Fund initiative. 
  • Second occurrences should be referred to the E.R.O.